Tuesday 17 November 2009

Excitement

Yesterday, I did something very exciting - I ordered myself a laptop. This may not sound terribly exciting to many, but I have never done such a thing before. This purchase has been brewing for a while for a few reasons.

The desk-top we have at home is elderly (9+ yrs) and temperamental. Particularly, it periodically refuses to talk to the outside world for no obvious reason. It doesn't have in-built Wireless so operates on a dongle which is hard to access if something goes wrong. In addition, when hubby is in the country, he has first use on the PC (after all, he bought it, he maintains it, and he knows better than I do what to do for it when it's poorly). So, for some time I have been thinking about getting a little laptop.

This has come to a head following the work secondment I recently undertook. Being on secondment meant I had to take my work laptop to and from the office every day (when working at base we are encouraged to leave our laptops locked up at work unless we have a client meeting or whatever) and having the laptop at home meant I could use it in the evenings. I discovered that it was entirely happy to connect to the wireless at home, and it didn't keep falling over. I could also sit in the living room to use it rather than being relegated to the top corner of the house.

And so the deed is done. At some time in the next couple of weeks a shiny new red laptop/notebook (not sure what 12" qualifies as!) should be coming to live with me. Then I will have all the fun (?) of getting it set up. As I said - excitement!

No comments:

Post a Comment