Wednesday 5 January 2011

Embryonic blanket

Back in March last year, I started knitting a 'Ten Stitch Blanket' using left-over sock yarns. I pulled together my left-overs in blues, pinks and purples, and set to work. And then, as is often the way(!), I became side-tracked. I picked up my blanket sporadically, but it didn't really grow very much. However, I did make a decision. I decided that, rather than keep on going around and around until I had the full blanket, I would make a series of squares and then join them at the end. The idea was that this would be less unwieldy.
On Monday, I finally finished the first square, and yesterday I blocked it. It has blocked to around 18" square, and therefore, if I work 12 squares, I could end up with a blanket 4'6" by 6' which sounds like a pretty reasonable size.
I have also made the decision that I will try to complete one square per month this year. This means that, by the end of November I should have my 12 squares completed, leaving December for the joining.
We'll have to wait and see how well I stick to this. Number 2 square is underway, and in the meantime, here is number 1 square. The ends that are visible are all on the outer row - I have darned in all the "inner" ends so there aren't toooo many to do when I'm making up.
Checking in next month to see whether there's another square...

No comments:

Post a Comment