Saturday 1 January 2011

Happy New Year

Well, Happy New Year to Blog-land. 2010 was an eventful year, not always in a good way - and so here's to a peaceful 2011.

I spent Christmas overseas with my sister and her family. It was lovely to see them all (and to meet the newest addition to the family - the new 10 week old nephew) and to spend time with them. It was also good to escape from the rat race that is Christmas at home - Christmas is not big where they are which means it is actually possible to go into shops on Christmas Eve (or even on Christmas Day) and there is no mad panic of consumerism.

The reason I went away was because, for the first time, Mr Auntie Fred was working over Christmas. He returned on 30 December, so we had Christmas lunch yesterday (although we opened presents the evening before, after he got home). One of my presents was an electric 'frosting pen' - a gadget for applying frosting (or icing!) to cakes. It so happens that I had a tub of
one of the recommended brands of frosting in the cupboard, and so I have spent the afternoon experimenting. I baked a batch of muffins, applied chocolate frosting and gold star dust, and here is the result. I discovered that it is not a good idea to bake in my oven without the fan on (although I have done so before) - each muffin rose towards the centre of the oven, hence some of the distinctly lopsided creations shown. Still, it doesn't seem to alter the flavour which isn't bad if I do say so myself!

It's that time of the year when we make resolutions - going to the gym, losing weight, blogging more often, creating a certain number of knitterly projects or whatever they may be. I am not going to go into writing formally on my resolutions (although all of the above might well appear were a list to be made), but it is my intention to blog slightly more often this year, and let's face it, based on last year's showing that wouldn't be hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment